Friday, June 27, 2008

Two and a Half Questions with Peter Broderick

What is your musical background?
I started classical violin training at age 7, and played in various youth orchestras, then in my early teenage years I lost interest in the violin and started playing electric guitar in rock bands. Around 15-16 I realized again how beautiful the violin actually is, and picked it up again. At this time I also became interested in all kinds of instruments, and started collected them and trying to teach them to myself. For a while there it seemed like I was somehow getting a new instrument every week! I would go to friend's houses and search through their attics and say "Can I have this?"

Who are your favorite classical composers?
Arvo Pärt, Philip Glass, Rachel Grimes, Max Richter, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Steve Reich...

Any hints as pertaining to the title of the album?
I think since it's just one simple word, there are many ways to look at it. Hopefully.

I feel that the gap between modern classical, ambient and electronic is slowly closing as led by a new generation. What do you picture the future of contemporary classical music to be?
I think I agree. I consider people like Max Richter to be wonderful classical composers, even though you'd probably more likely find his music in the electronica section, or even rock/pop at some stores...

How is the weather in Portland?
The Spring and Autumn are perfect -- crisp air and mild temperatures. Sometimes the winter gets just a little too cold, and sometimes the summer gets just a little too hot. Some people complain about the amount of rain there, but I like it.

myspace.com/peterbroderick

No comments: