Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Two and a Half Questions with Frank Riggio



What are your reactions when your music is compared to Amon Tobin? How do you feel about being called a copycat?
It's flattering in a way, because Amon Tobin is a legend. But sometimes it's a bit boring too. I think some people always try to compare me to Amon Tobin, even if it's not comparable. My latest music is not that similar in my opinion. I can understand why some people call me a "copycat", but to be honest, I don't really care about people who are not open-minded. He influenced my music a lot, for sure, and that's not a secret at all. Tobin is a sort of master Jedi to me - a role model. You can treat me as his padawan. We have similar tastes too, I guess. He somehow opened up a new way of creation, and I'm just following in his footsteps. Some follow the dubstep movement, and I follow Tobin's. But I always try to make my music more personal. And it's just a matter of time... I'm 29 and still a rookie. There are so many things to learn. I just want to point out that everybody is influenced by everybody on this planet, we do all things together - we are a kind of unity. Even Tobin has his musical influences. Just the fact that Tobin used a lot of samples on his songs can mean that he's kind of a copycat too. Even if the samples are manipulated in a new way. The main idea is somehow 'borrowed'.

[ - s n i p - ]

Read the entire interview on Headphone Commute

No comments: