Monday, January 18, 2010

Two and a Half Questions with Corey Fuller

The Seas Between captures intercontinental distance between US and Japan. Tell us a bit about the concept behind the album, and how you came about creating this work.

The title 'Seas Between' came from the idea and realization that the sea, specifically the Pacific Ocean, has been one of the only and few constants in my life. I was born in the US, but moved to Japan when I was five years old with my family. I lived there until I graduated from high school, moved to Bellingham, WA for university, and moved back to Japan following graduation. Then some years later, I moved back to Bellingham again to live and work. Now I am in the midst of another move back to Japan with my wife and children. As a consequence, my sense of home is very fluid, like the sea. People always ask me where I feel most at home, and I respond by saying somewhere in between, which I suppose is most literally right here in the seat on this airplane over the pacific (where I coincidentally am writing my responses to these questions) as I'm on my way back to Japan, but also metaphorically, the sea between. The concept also speaks not only to distances without, such as geographical distances, but also to distances that can exist within – within our own person, our own identity, our own being. When I am living in the States, I often feel like half of me, my Japanese side lies dormant, below the surface as one side of me takes precedence and vice versa when I am in Japan. The sea has always helped me to reconcile these distances within and without. The sea extends, touching both shores, filling a void and yet creating one at the same time.

Musically, the album is composed of songs that were created from recordings made on both sides of the Pacific, both field and studio, and I felt that this was integral to the concept of the album. For my first solo album, I wanted to create something that was personal and meaningful both conceptually and musically. Which leads seamlessly to my thoughts on the next question…

Read entire interview on Headphone Commute

Also, see Headphone Commute review of Seas Between

No comments: