Saturday, November 15, 2008

Random Vinyl of the Week

First, a little preface... I have been very much obsessed about the quality of the sound lately, settling only on lossless files on my iPod. And with the last.fm collecting daily statistics, I have been compulsively feeding everything through its scrobbler. An OCD/ADHD audiophile collector. Sounds familiar? That being said, my humongous vinyl collection (pictured in this post) has greatly suffered from my lack of attention. And if I started to listen to my records now, at a rate of a dozen a day, it would take me... let's see... oh yes, only a year to finish! Oh good! So today I decided to pull out a random record and give it another spin. Of course, it brought back the good old memories. From the weight of vinyl, to the touch of needle, and the crackles in my speakers. And of course that warmer sound... Ah... I should do this more often. And I will. I spend too much time listening to digital representations on my headphone commute. And so I will attempt to dedicate the weekends to my archived vinyl. This process shall be simple. I will pull out a random record and listen to it. Then, if I like it, I will write about it. Sounds easy enough. Let's see if I can keep this going. You already should know, that I don't care about the date the music has been released. It's all music to me. And through this process I hope to dig up some gems that undoubtedly have been waiting for me all these years. To you, these writeups will appear along regular reviews. But they will appropriately be tagged with vinyl label. What do you think?

2 comments:

gridface said...

Sounds good to me! I too have a huge vinyl collection, which I've been slowly recording or selling. It's great to revisit records I've only ever listened to a couple of times.

Headphone Commute said...

I tried recording my most valuable records. Worked out pretty good for a while. I even had a whole system going. I would then sell the unwanted ones on eBay. But eventually that turned into a full time job, and I gave in. ;(