Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pan Sonic - Katodivaihe / Cathodephase (Blast First Petite)

Always ahead of the game, Mika Vainio and Ilpo Väisänen have been experimenting with sound and noise since 1993. Before blasting their latest 2007 release through my speakers, I dusted off this Finish duo's 1997 release, Kulma, to see how it held up after ten (10!) years. And it totally mashed my mind! Here's my advice to all the artists looking for inspiration for creating innovative sound - Pan[a]Sonic's done it. The abstract and minimal sound design constructed through custom made instruments and recorded live straight to DAT (that's right, I said live) only gets more of my respect with years. In Katodivaihe, pure tones, ultrasonic pulses, and sine waves are joined by Hildur Guðnadóttir's eerie cello treatments on three astonishing tracks. The thick and low-rumbling techno beats groove with the dying circuitry and remind me of a very first all-electronic music score by Louis and Bebe Barron for 1956 Forbidden Planet (I'm a proud owner of that vinyl soundtrack). Besides this album, Vainio managed to release a single EP, titled Ikuinen, under his Ø alias for his home label, Sähkö Recordings. Recommended if you follow evolution of sound with Autechre, Alva Noto, and Fennesz. Favorite Tracks : Laptevinmeri / Laptev Sea and Suhteellinen / Comparative.

myspace.com/electronicsquelches



No comments: